Do I need a car accident lawyer if the accident was minor?

5 mins read

When you or a loved one are involved in a car accident, there are generally two types of claims involved – a claim for damage to the car ( “property damage”) or a claim for personal injury or wrongful death ( “bodily injury”).

Even if it is a minor accident, do not hesitate to contact a lawyer for legal assistance. A Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer can significantly boost your chances of getting compensation quickly for your minor injuries and compensation in Philadelphia. 

Pennsylvania Accident Reporting Laws

It is necessary to comply with Pennsylvania laws on a driver’s legal obligations after an accident.

You don’t have to be severely injured in a car crash to pursue a claim for damages. 

According to Pa. C.S.A §3744, you must report a car accident to law enforcement in Pennsylvania if the accident results in injury or death.

Pennsylvania requires reporting of accidents if they occur on any road open to the public. 

It is always reasonable to report a crash, even if the law does not require it. 

You could be more injured than you realize. It is common for accident victims to not feel any pain until a few days after an accident. 

Even if there are minor property damages or no injuries, it is always a good idea to contact the police to make a report of the accident. Without a police report, it can be more tricky to prove what happened. The police report will show which driver was liable and may also indicate that this at-fault driver was issued a citation. 

Most Pennsylvaniavania auto insurance policies require customers to notify the insurer promptly if they are involved in an accident. 

Pennsylvania Is A No-Fault State

Pennsylvania is a choice no-fault state. This means drivers can choose to opt into the no-fault system or opt out of it. 

Drivers can opt into the no-fault system by choosing limited tort coverage and opt out by choosing full tort coverage. 

Pennsylvania drivers must have auto insurance with at least:

  • $15,000 per person in bodily injury liability coverage
  • $30,000 per accident in bodily injury liability coverage
  • $5,000 in property damage liability

Philadelphia drivers can recover the cost of repairs or minor injuries after an accident from their auto insurer, the other driver directly if they have full tort coverage, or their own uninsured/ under-insured motorist policy or collision coverage (if they have purchased either or both).

Drivers must buy more than the minimum amount of coverage.

Is It Worth Getting A Lawyer For A Minor Car Accident?

Victims of minor accidents may have difficulty retaining legal help even if they want to initiate legal action. Many lawyers fear that minor accident cases will not recover enough money to pay for their services.

Most Philadelphia personal injury lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, meaning they recoup fees for their services out of the settlement they recover on your behalf. This arrangement minimises your financial risk when seeking legal assistance.

At The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. Money is not our only incentive. Creativity, finding solutions for complex legal issues, and lending our voice to society’s weak and downtrodden also inspire us.  

The Car Accident Lawyer at our law firm can help you recover compensation for repair costs, rental car expenses, lower value of your automobile due to the damage, cost of replacing upgrades you made to your vehicle, and personal property damaged in the crash. 

At our Philadelphia personal injury law firm, we know how to pursue settlements in car accident cases with minor or catastrophic injuries and without injuries.

Contact The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C.  today for a free case consultation with an experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyer. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Follow Us